INVESTOR:Central Point Ltd.
CONSTRUCTOR:eng. Luben Iliev
GENERAL CONTRACTOR:Greentech Engineering Solutions Ltd.
There is a building on 5 Oborishte Street built by the Italian priest missionary father Francesco Galloni as an enlightenment Catholic charity center, through which to promote Christian values along with the Italian language and culture, for which is also supported by the Italian state. The ground-breaking ceremony was held on September 7th, 1925 personally by papal nuncio Roncalli (the future Pope John XXIII), and the completed building was inaugurated in 1928. The Leonardo da Vinci institute was also situated in the same, which was a private mixed junior high school. After 1944, the building was nationalized and the National School of Music was accommodated in the same. Today, its ownership was restored to the Catholic Church.
Design of 1928
The existing building was built in the beginning of the past century with the still available documentation shows that the construction permit was issued on 28.05.1927. The buildingitself was built during the next year. The design was elaborated by arch. N. Zankov, and the investor and owner was Mr. Francesco Galloni.
Design of 1938 / beginning of the fifties
In 1938, according to the design of arch. Stoyan M. Velchev, two wings were added to the building, respectively, to its eastern and western facades. The space above the rear entrance was closed, which provided natural lighting to the staircase and indirect lighting was foreseen through the thus added facilities. This reconstruction resulted in the closing of the entrance to the Oborishte Str., and two additional entrances were made in the two added wings. The second important part of the design for reconstruction as the levelling at the elevation of the cornice with the building of a terrace on the last floor.In the beginning of the fifties, the building was nationalized and designed as a school of music. It was reconstructed in such a manner, as to comply with the to the respective requirements, divided by light partition walls of Heraclid into classrooms. The façade facing the Oborishte Str. Was lined by stone tiles, with the complete existing façade composition having been destroyed.
Restoration of the building facades
The building facades are made of two types of materials: rock lining, using rocks from Vratsa in the lower register and lime plaster with numerous lime-cement repair patches. The plaster is compromised and must be physically removed down to the bricks. After the dusting of the surface by means of washing and reinforcing the base by means of acrylic primer, the plaster shall be reapplied in three coats according to Roefix and the enclosed technological map of the manufacturer. The rock lining shall be cleaned by washing by means of a steam-jet washer with added detergent and protection by means of waterproofing using protectoseal WS 808, in a water solution to the ratio of 1:20. In the lower register (the two meter layer) shall be applied protective coating against graffiti. All restoration works shall be performed by a registered in accordance with the provisions of art. 165 of the Cultural Heritage Act restoration expert. Regular supervision shall be exercised during the performance of the said works.
The open work staircase parapet shall be ground by sandpaper No. 80 and 160 and shall be dusted by means of cloths, impregnated by mineral solvent turpentine. The new painting shall be executed using black matt paint for metal 3 in 1, which contains anticorrosion primer. The wooden handrail of the parapet shall be treated in the manner, specified for the double-winged cassette doors.
Gypsum glued plastics – cartouches, medallions with oxidized and darkened bronze coating
The plastics are in a very good state. Clearing (removal) of the old bronze coating is foreseen and application of a new coating. The clearing and removal of the compromised bronze coating shall be made using tampons soaked in alcohol. The new bronze coating shall be made using acrylic bronze, purchased from the outlet of the Union of Artists in Bulgaria. The missing gypsum plastic details shall be restored by making moulds from the existing ones and mounting the new elements in the place of the missing ones.
Double-winged doors to the conference hall
The doors are in a good state and need re-patination and protection by varnish for wood. The required preliminary carpentry works shall be performed for readjusting of the doors and repairs to the damaged areas, if such are found. The cleaning of the old varnish shall be performed using a hot-air gun, followed by washing by means of solvent (alcohol). The cleaned surface of the wood shall be covered by azure varnish of mahogany or walnut colour, made by the Glazurite company, in two coats (the colour to be determined by designer).
Cassette ceiling of stamped polychrome wood
The wooden polychrome ceiling is in a good state and only needs cleaning and reinforcement. The cleaning shall be performed using cotton tampons soaked in water, into which shall be added a few drops of non-ionized surface-active substance. After the cleaning, the temperate polychrome surface shall be reinforced additionally using a solution of Paraloid В72 in toluene. The working concentrations of the solutions shall be 3-5%. The same shall be applied using a brush or sprayed. The works shall be performed in small areas, using personal protection equipment, i.e. gas masks, safety goggles and gloves. Formation of surface shining shall not be allowed. For this purpose, the restoration workers shall establish by means of experiments the suitable concentration of the solution. The toluene is a fire hazard, for which purpose the compulsory safety measures shall be undertaken – no smoking and no exposed flames. Ventilation shall also be compulsory.